Saturday, April 01, 2006

A Pinay bossa nova singer

A new pinay singer has recorded an album adapting the bossa nova style of music. I got a copy of the CD and I say its quite good. Bossa nova is music that has its roots in Brazil. Most popular of all bossa nova musician is Antonio Carlos Jobim. I don't quite remember a Filipino singer doing a bossa nova CD for sometime now. The only Filipino musician I can remember that recorded a bossa nova album is Bong Penera. And that was quite a long time ago. Maybe in the 70's pa while I am still in high school. Going back to the album, I'm glad that a new album of this sort came out. Bossa nova music is my favorite. Its a fusion of latin and some jazz music. There's always the improvisation part that makes the music more interesting. This album has given bossa nova a slight pinoy touch. The arrangements are though a little simple especially if you're to compare it to the original brazilian bossa nova artists. A few songs are also bordering as pop songs and not bossa nova. I guess this is just part of marketing so that a large segment of the market can be captured. If you put all bossa nova songs in the CD, only a few individuals might actually appreciate the album. They say music is food for the soul. Well, I certainly agree to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home